Monday, December 26, 2022

From Strength to Strength: Scriptures to Encourage You in the New Year

 


Living from Strength to Strength

When our middle son suffered a spinal cord injury in 1997, we refused both a push for euthanasia and a nursing home for him. In more than twenty-five years of caregiving, we've never looked back. We have learned much about the value of life, the comfort or our God, and the joy of serving a beloved son. 

Like all families, ours has weathered its share of storms. 

We had no idea how we were going to navigate the changes in our lives as a result of Kevin's injury. The path ahead seemed impassible. In fact, we were told repeatedly it would be impossible to care for him at home. But we stepped into the unknown, and God met us there. It has been a long and fearsome crossing through the valley of the shadow, but the Lord has been our light every step of the way. We have been blessed and honored to be a part of God's great work of lifegiving. Jesus...and Kevin...have taught us much about living out our faith in brokenness. 

In the coming year, we pray that the Lord will bring you peace, comfort, and strength as you arise each day to care for a loved one. May you rest in the knowledge you are God's hands and feet and heart for the hurting. As you sacrifice for others, may you remember the Savior's sacrifice for you and rejoice that He cared that much. 

Below are eleven Bible verses we lean on in the tough times. May you be blessed and strengthened for your caregiving journey in the coming new year!

1. Psalm 34:5-7

I sought the LORD and He answered me,
And rescued me from all my fears.
They looked to Him and were radiant,
And their faces will never be ashamed.
This wretched man cried out, and the LORD heard him,
And saved him out of all his troubles.
The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear Him.
And rescues them.

2. Psalm 34:18

The LORD is near to the brokenhearted
And saves those who are crushed in spirit.

3. Hebrews 6:10

For God is not unjust so as to forget your work
and the love which you have shown toward His name,
in having ministered and in still ministering to the saints.

4. Romans 8:18

For I consider that the sufferings of this present time
 are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us. 

5. Ephesians 6:11

Put on the full armor of God,
so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil.

6. Romans 14:4

To his own master he stands or falls;
and he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.

7. 2 Chronicles 16:9

For the eyes of the LORD roam throughout the earth,
so that He may strongly support those whose heart is completely His.
 

8. Matthew 25:35-40

For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat;
 I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; 
I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; 
naked, and you clothed Me; 
I was sick, and you visited Me; 
I was in prison, and you came to Me.’ 

Then the righteous will answer Him,
 ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink?
 And when did we see You as a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You? 
And when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 
And the King will answer and say to them, 
‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it for one of the least of these brothers or sisters of Mine, you did it for Me.’

9. Matthew 11:28-29

Come to Me, all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart,
and you will find rest for your souls. 
For my yoke is comfortable, and My burden is light.


10. Psalm 18:2

The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer,
 My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge;
 My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

11. 1 Corinthians 15:58

Therefore, my beloved brothers and sisters, be firm, immovable,
 always excelling in the work of the Lord, 
knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord.


No comments:

Post a Comment