Monday, October 23, 2023

Pioneer Files: Dance with the One that Brung Ya



But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places, who call out to the other children and say, "We played the flute for you, and you did not dance; we sang a dirge, and you did not mourn." - Matthew 11:16-17

Skeptics, critics, everybody's watching.

As you embark upon this homeschool journey, you may find dealing with the critics and skeptics one of your first and most emotionally exhausting battles (especially if you are a people-pleaser like me and hate confrontation).

Thankfully, the homeschooling movement is now largely accepted in much of this country and enjoys a large following. But when I first considered homeschooling in 1982, I was met with unanimous disapproval by my family and friends. Not one person thought I was doing the right thing. Some of them took pains to pull me aside to talk some sense into me. Even my husband said the idea was crazy. He was understanding enough, thankfully, to let me try it. My family eventually became my most solid support base and source of help.

The real surprise was the amount of resistance I received from my brothers and sisters in the Lord. Prevailing attitudes about homeschoolers have mellowed, and many churches support home education today. But in the early years, my most bitter criticism initially came from God’s family. I was chastised for not committing to church programs and not being at expected church functions. I was told that my life was unbalanced because I spent my time at home with my children and husband instead of being at all the church activities. 

The criticism may have been well-meaning, but it made a hard decision even harder. It greatly contributed to the stress I already felt as a young mom who was fairly new in my faith and overwhelmed with the challenges of raising four little ones. How desperately I needed an older, wiser hand to lead me forward and encourage me! It would have been awesome just to have known another homeschooler with whom to compare notes and "talk shop." 

I knew of no one. It was a lonely journey for many miles.

Jesus calls the tune to which we dance.

During these early years, God taught me valuable lessons in resisting peer pressure and striving to please Him rather than people. I also learned, mostly through my own mistakes, not to react personally to criticism, and to never see a critical person as my enemy. It never hurts to hear out the critics, be willing to take wise counsel, and respond with grace. Then do what you know God has called you to do.

The journey to educate my own children thoroughly “schooled” me in the ways of God. In the beginning, I quickly learned three important lessons:
  • Listen always for the voice of God, even it comes through a critic. Especially if it comes through a critic.
  • Ask God if anything in the criticism presents a legitimate concern or is simply an attack of the enemy. Talk it through with your spouse or a trusted advisor if you are confused about what to believe.
  • Respond in a Christlike manner to the skeptics. 
  • Adjust your path forward accordingly.

Our efforts with our children will eventually rise or fall on their own merits. Home education is just a tool in the hands of God to educate an entire family in His ways.

Yet wisdom is vindicated by her deeds - Matthew 11:19

No comments:

Post a Comment